Happy Hump Day! How is your week going?
It's been a while since I did a "What I Ate Wednesday" - I just haven't felt compelled to photograph my meals on Tuesdays recently - but I am still hugely passionate about talking about, thinking about and writing about food.
So today I want to share with you my favorite blueberry smoothie. I love this for breakfast, post-workout, or pre-workout when I've had a light lunch. It is full of flavor and packed with goodness.
I first discovered this smoothie at Creative Juice and while I'll stick pick one up there (among the other smoothies I order there!) I've made this one at home a bunch and I think I finally got the proportions just right.
1/2 cup organic frozen blueberries (I used Whole Foods 365 brand)
1/2 cup coconut water (I used Zico)
2 TBSP nonfat Greek yogurt (I used Fage)
1.5 TBSP almond butter (I used Justin's)
2 TBSP ground flaxseed (I used Whole Foods 365 brand)
1 tsp coconut sugar (I used Madhava)
Toss all ingredients in blender and blend. :)
CALORIES: 330 | FIBER: 8g | SUGAR: 20g | PROTEIN: 13g
- To make this vegan/non-dairy, use 1/2 frozen banana in place of the Greek yogurt.
- You can use fresh blueberries if you don't have frozen, but you might want to add some ice so that it chills up.
- You can make this without the coconut sugar; the taste will be slightly tarter. (Minus 15 cal and 4g sugar)
- If you're trying to cut down on calories, you can eliminate the flaxseed (minus 80 cal and 3g fiber) or halve it (minus 40 cal and 1.5g fiber). Keep in mind that fiber does a fabulous job of keeping you full, which is just one of the wonderful benefits of flaxseed.
- Last but not least, this smoothie is a bit of a mess to drink. I would not advise having it on a date or right before an important meeting. :)